It’s quite easy to drink more than the legal limit for drivers in your state when you’re having a great time with your friends. There are only two things you can do in such cases. Either call Uber or use a portable breathalyzer to check your blood alcohol content (BAC).
A personal breathalyzer gives you an accurate estimate of your BAC in as little as five seconds and shows you whether or not to get behind the wheel. The best breathalyzers have a compact design and provide fast accurate BAC results, mostly within 0.001 percent.
Read on to learn more about the best personal breathalyzers you can buy today.
Best Breathalyzers of 2022-2023
|BACtrack Trace Professional|
|BACtrack S80||Check Price|
|AlcoMate REVO TS200||Check Price|
|BACtrack C6||Check Price|
What is the best personal breathalyzer to buy?
- BACtrack Trace Professional Breathalyzer
- BACtrack S80
- AlcoMate REVO TS200
- BACtrack C6
- GDbow Digital Alcohol Tester
- AlcoHAWK Ultra Slim
- Fannel Portable Breath Alcohol Tester
- Professional Digital Breathalyzer
1. BACtrack Trace Professional Breathalyzer – Best Value for Money
This portable breath alcohol tester is powered by BACtrack’s latest sensor technology to deliver police-grade accuracy in your BAC tests. It’s designed for personal blood alcohol content testing but can also be used to test employees at work, in alcohol treatment centers, or breastfeeding mothers before they nurse their babies. It comes with 6 extra mouthpieces which makes it easier to test your family or friends in a more sanitary way. The results are clearly displayed on a bright LCD screen and the product offers a high level of accuracy and consistency.
- Easy to use
- It has a bright easy to read LCD screen
- Comes with 6 extra mouthpieces
- High level of accuracy
- It needs to be calibrated regularly
- A bit expensive but delivers accurate reliable results
2. BACtrack S80 Professional – Easy to Use
Similar to other highly accurate BACtrack devices, the BACtrack S80 Professional Breathalyzer uses the Xtend Fuel Cell Sensor Technology to give you fast and accurate results with a range of 0.000 to 0.400 percent. It has a 4-digit LCD display screen, easy one-touch operation, and a lightweight portable design. It’s both DOT and NHTSA approved.
- It’s easy to use
- It’s more accurate than other BACtrack models
- Large LCD display
- One-year warranty
- Slightly larger than other models
- A more expensive price tag but gives value for your money
- Needs regular calibration
3. AlcoMate REVO TS200 – Easy To Re-calibrate
This is a compact sized personal breathalyzer no larger than an iPhone. It’s lightweight too and comes with one-way flow mouthpieces, batteries, and a hard Clamshell carry case. It’s easy to use and delivers results within a few seconds via a clear 4-digit screen.
How to change the fuel-cell sensor module on the AlcoMate Revo Model TS-200
- Gives you fast accurate results
- It’s easy to use
- Compact size and lightweight
- PRISM (Pre-calibrated Replaceable Intelligent Sensor Module) Technology
- The price is a little bit higher compared to other models
4. BACtrack C6 – Smallest Keychain Breathalyzer
The BACtrack C6 Breathalyzer gives you police-grade accurate results. It can be used for personal BAC testing or in clinics and hospitals as well as in law enforcement. It comes with two operation modes – a standalone mode and an app mode. When using the app mode, the results are wirelessly delivered to your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth connectivity. It’s ultra-portable and is in fact the smallest police-grade BAC tester ever built. It weighs 1.5oz and is the size of a 9v battery. You can easily attach it to your keychain or carry it in your pocket when you go for a drink.
- Smallest and lightest breathalyzer device
- You can even call Lyft or Uber straight from the app if you’ve taken too much alcohol
- It comes with one year warranty
- Gives fast accurate results
- Its sensors have to be re-calibrated once a year
5. GDbow Digital Alcohol Tester – Fast Working Breathalyzer
The GDbow alcohol tester is a breathalyzer that works as advertised. It comes with 5 mouthpieces, a large screen, audible loudspeakers, and good battery life. It’s small, lighter, and better looking than other models. Some of its key features include a smart alarm function that uses a red light for test results higher than 0.05% BAC and a continuous drop sound. It has an energy saving auto-shutoff function that powers the device 5 seconds after you finish testing. It’s also easy to use and delivers test results in as little as 3 seconds.
- Small and portable
- Fast results
- Big screen and loudspeaker
- Doesn’t work with mouthpieces from other brands
- It’s a bit expensive but far much cheaper than the cost of a DUI.
6. AlcoHAWK Ultra Slim – Portable and Easy to Use
This is a high accuracy breathalyzer equipped with a fuel cell sensor module. It’s extremely easy to use. You just need to insert the batteries, power it on, and start testing. It comes with an automatic shut-off function. Each battery life gives you 200 tests. The batteries are included in the package. It’s one of the smallest portable breathalyzers on the market today. You easily carry it everywhere you go.
- It has high accuracy and sensitivity
- Easy to use
- Automatic shut-off to save energy
- Small and portable
- Sensitive sensors that can be damaged when you blow directly into the device
- May stop working if not used for a month or more
7. Fannel Portable Breath Alcohol Tester – Multipurpose Personal Breathalyzer
The Fannel Portable Breath Alcohol Tester is a multipurpose breathalyzer that also works as a car charger and a lifesaving hammer. It’s an easy to carry on-board alcohol tester. It gives you accurate alcohol test results indicated by green, yellow, or red lights. Green light means your alcohol level is safely below 0.02% BAC while yellow and red indicate a higher blood alcohol content of more than 0.05% BAC. It has two USB ports for fast charging and comes with overheating and short circuit protection.
- It can be used as a car charger or escape hammer
- Gives you accurate results
- It has a lightweight easily portable design
- Fast charging
- You have to wait for 5 minutes before you can test again
8. Professional Digital Breathalyzer with 5 Mouthpieces – Best for Multiple Users
This portable digital breath alcohol tester comes with 5 extra mouthpieces. It has a high accuracy level of +/-0.010% BAC and sends out a video or audio alarm to warn you if your blood alcohol level is above 0.05% BAC. This breathalyzer is powered by two AAA batteries and has an automatic shut-off system which powers off the device 5 seconds after testing.
- A fast response time of just 5 seconds
- Comes with dual input for both right and left-handed people
- It has a high accuracy detection range
- Lightweight, portable design
- It comes with 5 mouthpieces
- Batteries are not included but are readily available